Different Turks make their Turkish coffee in different ways, however the steps below are the basic standard practice:
1. In your furnished kitchen, you will find four small pots of different size with long handles. These are coffee pots. From smallest to biggest, the pots are used to make 1, 2, 3 or 4 cups (small Turkish style coffee cups).
2. Fill the pot with water, leaving a little room at the top for boiling over. For each cup you are making, add one spoonful (medium sized) to the water.
3. Put the pot directly on the burner and bring to a boil until it froths up at the top. Remove from heat.
4. Bring to a boil a second time.
5. Remove from heat. Gently pour the coffee into the cups, slowly so as not to get too many grinds in it. They will have settled to the bottom. Grinds are inevitable however and are part of the experience.
6. Some people will turn their cups upside down on the saucer and let the grinds fall down the sides, and then "read" each others coffee grinds. A fun tradition!